Why Write Horror?: Guest post
by Stephen C. Ormsby
Both genres I have read and enjoyed for lots of years, and I wanted to see if I could turn out something that would excite me. Names like Graham Masterton, James Herbert and Chet Williamson thrilled me as a younger man, and I wanted to know if I was capable of the same level of thrill.
I asked a good friend and fellow author Sharon Lee Johnson whether she would give me some tips on what makes a good horror novel. After a couple of great discussions, an idea started to form and then it really took over from there.
Pendant was such a consuming story line that the first draft took only 22 days to write. It literally burnt through me, wanting to be out. I didn’t mind that much, as Conrad/Varnok is a very heavy character to carry around.
As I wrote it though, the ideas kept coming with the protagonist plotting more than one novel in my head. So far, I have stories for three or four trilogies, which will see the characters go to Hell and come back. It’s exciting stuff to consider as I get to imagine Hell in my own way.
Varnok has a lot more planned for Maggie and Logan, as this is only the start. Book 2 of the series is tentatively titled The Aching Gate and begins a story arc that will go for three novels. There will be frights and scares for all!
I hope you enjoy the first book of The Undead Hunters series and look forward to more, as I am looking forward to writing them.
His second novel Pendant: The Undead Hunters book 1 will be published on April 5, 2013 by GMTA Publishing. Road to Hell is a novelette is a prequel for The Undead Hunters series. Stephen is busy writing sequels for both Long Lost Song and Pendant, as well as working on a fantasy series. He is also currently editing two anthologies of Australian authors with the first to be published August 30, 2013. He lives in South Gippsland with his wife, two children and a mad cat. He has travelled extensively, is an avid reader and enjoys listening to a wide range of music.
ABOUT HIS BOOKS:
Long Lost Song
A virus is decimating America today and Michael Decker is the culprit. Or is he? Is it the work of a curse recorded into a song by 1930's blues musician Ricky Jensen? Long Lost Song tells the story of Ricky and Michael as they battle their personal and real demons while the world reaches end times of biblical proportions. One question remains. How do you stop a devil of a song made to break a crossroads deal? People who love 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?' and 'Carnivale' should love this too.
Road to Hell
(This book is a novella and prequel to "The Undead Hunters" Series. "Pendant" the first full length novel of this series is due out April 5th, 2013.) Road to Hell is a graphic depiction of love, hatred and the power of the heart, as we join Conrad in the sixteen hundreds, and follow him on his journey of self-destruction. Once in love with his life, Conrad's world is rocked when he discovers his beloved is cheating on him. Using blood magic and power, Conrad seeks his revenge and pays the ultimate price in this brutal and violent tale of vengeance.
Varnok the Great Wizard wants revenge against the people who burnt him at the stake for murder three hundred years before. He has waited patiently in Hell for his opportunity. Now, the Pendant has come together, and the time to make the pay for their actions against him is here. He will release his power upon Earth. Maggie finds half a pendant in a sea-side market and Logan is given his by family, forcing the two into a horrific world they had never imagined, and running for their lives. Will they learn the secret of the Pendant before it is too late? Will there new-found love be strong enough to stop Varnok, a three hundred year old Wizard from the pits of Hell? Pendant is the first book in The Undead Hunters series.
(1) April 5th - Dawn Colclsaure, (POSTED) Guest Post
(2) April 6th - Mallory Forbes, Blog: http://archiestandwoodsreviewsandwritings.blogspot.com/, Guest Post
(3) April 8th - Julia Hendrix, (POSTED) Interview
(4) April 9th - Cheree Crump, Blog: http://confessionsoftheparanormal.blogspot.com, Guest Post
(5) April 10th - Catalina Egan, Blog: http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/, Guest Post
(6) April 11th - Beth Kozlowski, Blog: http://www.bethannmasarik.com/, Guest Post
(7) April 14th - Ronald Fischman, Blog: http://3throughhistory.wordpress.com/, Interview
(8) April 16th - David R. Bennett, Blog: http://davidrbennett.wordpress.com/, Interview
(9) April 17th - Shirley Simon, Blog: http://superphoenix.wordpress.com/, Guest Post
(10) May 2nd - Kate Bainbridge, Blog: http://pageturnerbooktours.blogspot.co.uk/, Guest Post
(11) May 4th - DelSheree Gladden, Blog: http://www.theediblebookshelf.blogspot.com/, Guest Post
(12) May 5th - Cremona Cotovelea, Blog: http://mythicalbooks.blogspot.ro/, Review