Tuesday, August 26, 2014

DARK MOON by MAGGIE TIDESWELL

 

In Maggie Tideswell's own words

 
Nothing is as it seems... The story Dark Moon is based on one that started about twenty years ago. Every day we meet new people, but who is to say which of those meetings will impact our future and in what way. It is difficult to say how long it actually took me to write Dark Moon. I work in a very haphazard sort of way. I never have less than three stories going at the same time. I get bored easily so I'll work on story 1 until that happens, then I move on to story 2 until I get fed-up and go back to story 1 and then I'll skip to story 3 and so I carry on. And then I had a period of 3 years in which I didn't write a word - didn't even do editing or plotted new story lines. Nothing. Zip. Nada. But at a guess, I would say if I added the time together, it might have been about 2 years, maybe 2 and a half. And the incubation periods in between seem to do wonders for inspiration. It started out as a straight forward, sickeningly soppy, love tale, but it is amazing how a story tells itself. It soon became clear that this tale needed more oomph, and resist as I might, the witchcraft element would not be excluded. The Trevor character was also a weakling to start with, but the story demanded he become something else completely. This character, more than any other in the book, personifies the notion of 'nothing is as it seems'. We all wear different faces, pretend to be something other than we are, but in Trevor's case, his faces were like day and night. I loved writing the Trevor character. I had to be cautious when I incorporated the witchy bits to the story, though. I didn't want my wondrous tale to turn into something like Harry Potter, with people calling themselves witches and wafting wands about and sparks flying, nor did I want to turn it into a textbook on the craft. People are strange and there will always be somebody out there who will actually try out the rituals and stuff. So, for the sake of safety - and my sanity! - I couldn't describe anything fully. Less is more in my opinion. I wanted to draw the reader into the rites, without anybody being able to copy anything and causing themselves or anybody/thing around them any harm. A little knowledge is dangerous, you know. Thank you to Mark Knox for the wonderful cover art and splendid video trailer that completed the growth of Dark Moon. And a special thank you to All Things That Matters Press for publishing Dark Moon.
Please follow me on twitter @lunamags and on facebook

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Image of Maggie TideswellSouth African born and bred, Maggie loves all things paranormal. She is married with 3 grown-up kids and 2 grandchildren. Maggie's first book, a paranormal romance titled Dark Moon, was published by All Things That Matter Press in 2011 and the second, Moragh, Holly's Ghost, also in the paranormal romance genre, was published in July 2013. Her stories reflect her interest of things unexplained. Maggie loves books (the smell of paper), tea, wine, and her cat Felix is her constant companion.
 
Moragh, Holly's Ghost

 
 

2 comments: