Friday, May 23, 2014

Interview with Author CANDY O'DONNELL



Hello Candy  Can you please tell us about your book?
*** My book is about my mother's struggle with leukemia in 1983-84. She became ill around Thanksgiving, and by Christmas we were told she might not make it. This story is in my words.
 
What inspired you to write this particular story (and/or series)?
*** I have to admit that my mother was my inspiration for this story. It is short, and to the point and I gathered what memories I had of her and inserted them into this book.
 
Describe your writing in three words.
*** Tirelessly walking through.
 
Do you have specific techniques you use to develop the plot and stay on track?
*** With this book, I have a fairly simple plot. For most of my books I allow the characters to take over and write what they want.
 
Are your characters in the book based on anyone you know?
*** Yes, the concept is about my mother and her struggle with leukemia. During the early 80s there was no cure and her doctor had only seen one other person with leukemia.
 
Do you need visual media to describe people or places? (Some authors use pics. out of magazines)
*** No, actually. I have such a vivid imagination and my memories have not left me yet. lol
 
Favorite snack when writing.
*** It is an absolute must to have ice water as I write.

Once a character is fully developed do you set them free or do they still dance around your mind?
*** They dance for weeks, if not months.

Is the Thesaurus one of your best writing friends?
*** The Thesaurus is one of my best friends when I write.

 Who gets to read your drafts before they're published?
*** I single out certain people to read my work. That is very few and far between as it is.

Share with us your biggest hurdles in the writing process?
*** Writers block can be a huge hurdle. I've been known to go for months without writing. It is impossible to put one word down when this occurs.

Share the biggest hurdles in the marketing process.
*** I find marketing to be difficult, but it is getting easier the more I learn from other writers and publishers. I learn by observation and have been able to add many things to my marketing sack along the way.

What project(s) are you working on now?
***I am finishing up a series for my current publisher Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing. And another series has cropped up during that process which is currently in their hands at the moment. *fingers crossed*

Is there anything else you would like to say to your readers*** Just write. I have found that is the only way to express how I feel and what is within my head. I am constantly racing through different titles, books, and plots. That is how I operate.







Where can readers find you and your book(s) online?
 
 
 


Twitter: @Candyodonnell

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very emotional read. I'm not ready for it now, but perhaps, one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I do know that Candy always comes from a place of light. Likeyou it is not the read for me now.

      Delete