Saturday, October 4, 2014

Part Two of Interview with J.M.Kay author of ~ UNDER THE SHADOW ~ Children of The First Star Volume 1 ~


Interview with J. M. Kay, author of “Under the Shadow: Children of the First Star, Volume I
Release date: October 1, 2014
 
·      What inspired you to write this particular story (and/or series)?
I grew up reading fantasy and science fiction so one of those genres felt like a natural choice for me to tell a story.  Science fiction became the conduit but the inspiration is based on my own feelings about how human beings deal with fear.  And how our fears, more than any other emotion, dictate the state of the world we have created. 
·      Share with us your biggest hurdles in the writing process? 
The biggest hurdle for me was being able to take a giant axe to words, lines, paragraphs, entire pages that I really loved but just didn’t fit with the flow and tone of the story.
Who gets to read your drafts before they're published? 
My wife reads my drafts for the primary reason that Science Fiction and Fantasy are “not her thing” to say the least.  So, when she likes the stories, I know they must really be good.
·      What project(s) are you working on now?
I’m currently working on finishing up the outlines for the next two books in the series in the Children of the First Star trilogy, A Moment in the Glass, and What the Thunder Said. I’m also editing a collection of poems that I hope to publish soon as well:  Lost Letters to a Young Ophelia.
·      Is there anything else you would like to say to your readers?
·       I think readers will find that “Under The Shadow” is a very different kind of story, one that tries hard to avoid the trope of clearly defined “good” battles clearly defined “evil” and that’s just the way things are.  It is an intricate story that doesn’t attempt to dumb down either the child characters or the adult characters.  It is full of technological imaginings that are very unique.
·       
·      Where can readers find you and your book(s) online? 
·      www.BooksEndependent.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment