Monday, May 18, 2015

NO BONES ABOUT WRITING BAD GUYS a guest post by Dark Pursuit author Jennifer Chase


When I outline bad guys for my novels, it often reads like a police rap sheet and a psychological profile.  I cannot overstate the effectiveness for research and outlining in fiction writing.  There’s always those little pieces of nuggets that you can weave into the story that gives it the added realism and authenticity.  These nuggets are like pieces of gold for me and I love hunting for them.

Research into creating new characters works well for me because I love learning new things that I did not know yesterday, but it can be a daunting task if you don’t enjoy the process.  I’ve managed to streamline my process a bit so that I don’t get overwhelmed with too much information and avoid a major time void sucking the life out of me.

I remember when I first began writing screenplays, it was quoted many times in books and from successful writers that you must love all of your characters – even the bad ones.  I embrace that simple task with every book project.

Writing is a learning process and you never know what you can truly accomplish until you dig deep into your imagination to create a devious bad guy or even a quirky supporting character bordering on bad.

I divide my bad guys into three main areas: physical, background, and psychological.  I approach my bad guys the same way whether they are a major character, supporting character or someone just mentioned in one chapter.

PHYSICAL

This is where I create the actual physical qualities of the character, what he/she looks like, mannerisms, specific characteristics, how he/she dresses, and even habits.  I begin to get a real picture in my mind how this person looks, walks, and talks.  It’s a writer’s character rap sheet with an added dimension that rolls through my mind.

BACKGROUND

It’s getting to be fun.  This is where I begin to develop a who they are with a history, life experiences, family, work environment, criminal activity, relationships, living conditions, education, and anything that wasn’t addressed in the physical area.

PSYCHOLOGICAL

Now, I have an actual image of the character and some background information.   It’s endless in creating the mind of a bad guy and you can have so much fun with this area of writing.  This is no doubt my favorite step to creating a bad guy.   I like to have these characters answer a few questions for me, like what they would do if confronted with certain situations.  This also includes their internal and well as external conflicts.  Many of my bad guys are serial killers so they are skewed with distorted perceptions, beliefs, and lack of impulse control.  How fun is that?

The moral to creating bad guys?  Well, I make no bones about it.  I dive right in to creating their physical and psychological background and wait to see what happens.

 


Synopsis:
From the International Award Winning EMILY STONE THRILLER SERIES: 


Vigilante detective Emily Stone has covertly hunted down killers and closed more serial cases than most seasoned homicide cops combined. Her exceptional profiling skills and forensic techniques, along with deductive crime scene investigations, have made her a compelling force that cannot be beat.
She has reached her ultimate breaking point and now must face her toughest opponent yet – her biggest fears.

With preciseness, the Tick-Tock Killer has taken his next child victim and promised to dump the body precisely four days later, mocking police and the community. Stone struggles to balance her inner demons and ghosts from the past, against the wits of a brutal and cunning serial killer in an all-out battle of psychological warfare.

Can Stone save the next child in time? Dark Pursuit is an action-packed cat and mouse game that will take you to dark places rarely explored.
 
FOLLOW THE TOUR

May 18
May 19
Guest Post - Lightning Chronicles 
Interview – Eloquent Review 
May 20
Guest Post – Books Are Magic 
Interview - Meglena Ivanova 
May 21
Interview - Julius Thom Novels
Spotlight – The Bridge of Deaths 
May 22
Review – Elite Reviews 
 
 
Jennifer Chase is an award-winning author and consulting criminologist.  She has authored six crime fiction novels, including the award-winning Emily Stone thriller series along with a screenwriting workbook.
Jennifer holds a Bachelor degree in police forensics and a Master’s degree in criminology.  These academic pursuits developed out of her curiosity about the criminal mind as well as from her own experience with a violent sociopath, providing Jennifer with deep personal investment in every story she tells. In addition, she holds certifications in serial crime and criminal profiling.  She is an affiliate member of the International Association of Forensic Criminologists.

www.authorjenniferchase.com 

Facebook

Twitter

Blog 

 Purchase Link: Amazon

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment