Saturday, March 30, 2019

Chutes and Ladder: A Silicon Valley Mystery by Marc Jedel

image001



image002Excerpt of Chutes and Ladder: A Silicon Valley Mystery by Marc Jedel

Marty Golden, protagonist in the Silicon Valley Mystery series, is known for his outstanding attention to detail, but sometimes his powers of self-delusion overwhelm even him. Here’s an excerpt from Chutes and Ladder. Readers can also get the first chapter free for any of my novels by signing up for my mailing list at www.marcjedel.com.

              After a few minutes, I felt someone staring at me but noticed no one nearby looking at me. I’ve never understood how you could feel a stare. Was that some remnant of powers from long-ago human evolution that had faded? What other superpowers had we lost? Were we ever able to fly? I got excited about this possibility and almost mentioned it to Meghan until I felt the stare again.
              Wary, I glanced to the side. A person painted all in gold was staring at me while he stood like a statue outside a store named Southern Treasures. I stared back, careful not to blink. Performers like him entertain the crowds by freezing long enough for a new fool to walk by before scaring them with a sudden movement. I was not going to be that fool. Not today, at least.
              I couldn’t hold it any longer. I blinked. This guy was good. He hadn’t moved or blinked in over a minute, unless he timed his blink for right when I did.
              “Why are you staring at that mannequin?” Meghan leaned over me to get a better look.
              Startled, I double-checked that she was looking at the same thing. “Are you sure that’s a mannequin? It looks like a real person painted in gold.”
              Meghan scoffed. “It’s missing ears.”

Dead friend. Free fall. Girl Scouts. Can Uncle Marty untangle the mystery before things really get out of control?Juggling a budding relationship, demanding job, and mischievous nieces, Marty Golden struggled to keep his head above water — even before his friend’s death. Trying his best to be a good boyfriend and fun uncle, Marty had his own ideas for the weekend until his cunning sister tricked him again.Convinced his friend’s death was no accident, Marty tries to summon superhero powers but merely manages to bumble along as an amateur sleuth. When Marty’s cousin shows up, she wreaks havoc with his plans and pulls him into yet another mystery.As threats blossom, Marty doubles down now that his family’s involved. Besides, it’s poor manners to let your friend’s death go unsolved.Can Marty figure out what happened before a killer, or his imagination, gets to him?Chutes and Ladder is the second novel in a refreshingly modern mystery series set in Silicon Valley. If you like clever humor and wacky side characters, you’ll love this twisty mystery.




image005 (1)For most of my life, I’ve been inventing stories. Some, especially when I was young, involved my sister as the villain. As my sister’s brother for her entire life, I’m highly qualified to tell the tale of this evolving, quirky sibling relationship.
My writing skills were honed in years of marketing leadership positions in Silicon Valley. While my high tech marketing roles involved crafting plenty of fiction, we called these marketing collateral, emails and ads.
The publication of my first novel, Uncle and Ants, gave me permission to claim “author” as my job. This leads to way more interesting discussions than answering “marketing.”
My family would tell you that Marty’s character isn’t much of a stretch of the imagination for me, but I proudly resemble that remark.
Like Marty, I live in Silicon Valley and can’t believe that otherwise normal people would willingly jump out of an airplane and call it fun. Unlike Marty, I have a wonderful wife and a neurotic but sweet, small dog, who is often the first to weigh in on the humor in my writing.
 
Author Links
Purchase Link: Amazon 


TOUR PARTICIPANTS
March 25 – Babs Book Bistro – SPOTLIGHT, EXCERPT
March 25 – The Journey Back– REVIEW
March 25 – Mallory Heart’s Cozies – REVIEW
March 26 – My Reading Journeys – CHARACTER GUEST POST
March 26 – Books a Plenty Book Reviews – REVIEW
March 26 – Teresa Watson – REVIEW
March 27 – FUONLYKNEW – SPOTLIGHT
March 27 – Jane Reads – GUEST POST
March 27 – Here’s How It Happened – GUEST POST
March 28 – Cozy Up With Kathy – CHARACTER GUEST POST
March 28 – Carla Loves To Read – REVIEW
March 28 – Devilishly Delicious Book Reviews – REVIEW
March 29 – I’m Into Books – CHARACTER GUEST POST
March 29 – Sneaky the Library Cat’s Blog – CHARACTER INTERVIEW
March 30 – 4covert2overt  A Place In The Spotlight  – SPOTLIGHT, EXCERPT
March 31 – ⒾⓃⓉⓇⓄⓈⓅⒺⒸⓉⒾⓋⒺ ⓅⓇⒺⓈⓈ – SPOTLIGHT, EXCERPT
March 31 – The Avid Reader – REVIEW
April 1 – Brooke Blogs – SPOTLIGHT, EXCERPT
April 1 – Lisa Ks Book Reviews – REVIEW, AUTHOR INTERVIEW
April 2 – A Blue Million Books – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
April 2 – Baroness’ Book Trove – REVIEW
April 3 – fundinmental – SPOTLIGHT
April 3 – The Pulp and Mystery Shelf – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
April 4 – Ascroft, eh? – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
April 4 – The Book Decoder – REVIEW
April 5 – Celticlady’s Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
April 5 – Literary Gold – REVIEW
April 5 – Community Bookstop – REVIEW
April 6 – Defining Ways – GUEST POST
April 7 – StoreyBook Reviews – REVIEW
April 7 – Readeropolis – GUEST POST
image006

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me today. I hope your readers will enjoy reading CHUTES AND LADDER as much as I did writing it. At www.marcjedel.com, people can get the first chapter FREE for UNCLE AND ANTS (book 1) or CHUTES AND LADDER (book 2) simply by signing up for my newsletter. Book 3, SERF AND TURF, is underway, so now's a great time to enjoy Uncle Marty's adventures as he bumbles through his investigations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to host you Marc. Have a most successful tour.

      Delete